Senin, 23 Maret 2009

Tasks for Voki

This is where I get stuck. I can access all these things however I find it really difficult to come up with ways to use them. I am really looking forward to the next few weeks with this PD as I am NOT creative or good at coming up with ways to use ICT eg Voki, Blogs or other things with students. I feel I cant come up with ideas which are valid nor useful - by that I also automatically factor in the time value for researching, designing and producing tasks and instructions etc.

At my school it is also quite difficult to access computer labs. I have 5 computers at the back of my room which I dont utilise enough or have any idea really how to use more AND more effectively (which I would love to).

I found it really good to hear other people's ideas on how to use the Voki in the classroom. Unfortunately I first thought they would be very limited in their use as a one dimensional speaking task (and this is what I mean, I can see some use of the technology but need some forum where I can obtain other ideas). When Claire spoke about a reading task eg reading cards describing the Voki and the Ls designing the Voki based on the TL description, I thought of course! Then I was thinking after that task the Ls could write their own descriptions of a Voki then pass them on to other Ls to make as another IT task. Thats about all I can come up with ATM for the Voki so Im open to ANY SUGESTIONS!!

1 komentar:

  1. Here's some more ideas:

    - Email "greeting cards" to parents (birthdays, holidays, etc.). Also great for making "thankyous" after excursions etc.
    - "Wanted Posters": students generate Vokis based on decriptions written by others and then record a clue about their accomplice for others to listen to and match up with another voki.
    - LIAR! Students include a lie in an otherwise truthful tale for others to identify (e.g. describing the voki, describing an event, news item, facts about the country, etc.)
    - Telling a story/news item from a particular character's perspective (e.g. what would a fish like or dislike?)
    - Following directions - vokis can be put on mobile phones. This gives a new twist to treasure hunts throughout the school! Follow a series of vokis?
    - Continuous stories - "Saya pergi ke pasar dan saya membeli..."
    - Make a tutorial on how to use voki (e.g. http://www.slideshare.net/guest13cdd0/voki-340932)
    - Rate my ____ : students rate something and give a reason why. They then ask a question for someone else to respond to.
    - A "welcomer" to a student webpage/blog. "Welcome to my website. Here you can..."
    - Teacher instructions for an online activity (it's not only students who don't want their image published online!)
    - "Barrier" games (give directions to draw something, trace route on a map, etc)
    - Re-record passages without mistakes. Students record something wrong on purpose (e.g. "Saya suka makan kepala..." "Rambut saya berwara piring..."), and then someone else re-records it correctly (or leaves a comment "do you mean...")

    I guess it comes down to your learning programme, and the speaking tasks you normally do. Voki is a good way of publishing them without the concerns about publishing student videos, allows for review, and the novelty often masks the socio-affective barriers that happen with adolescents.

    But for me, email is the key - parents get a real kick out of receiving them from their kids :)

    BalasHapus